These are the very collections that have brought academic notoriety to the Fredonia campus and have inspired many researchers, scholars, and experts from across the globe to visit in order to perform specialized research on highly unique materials that include manuscripts, scores, microfilm, ledgers, musical instruments, correspondence, books, and more.
Our Signature Collections include the Stefan Zweig Collection, the Sigurd Raschèr Collection, the Raschèr Saxophone Quartet Collection, and the Holland Land Company Archives Microfilm Collection.
SC001.02 Published Works
SC001.03 Frederike Zweig Materials
SC001.04 Alfred Zweig Collection
SC001.05 Zweig Addendum
SC001.06 Miscellaneous Materials
SC001.06.1 Physical Objects
SC001.06.2 Correspondence Facsimiles (Copies for In-House Use Only)
SC002.03 Performance Documents
SC002.04 Education & Teaching Documents
SC002.05 Business Documents
SC002.06 SMR's Research & Writing
SC002.07 SMR Bound Volumes
SC002.08 Visual Media
SC002.09 Audiovisual Recordings
SC002.10 Physical Objects
SC002.11 Personal Papers
SC002.12 Writings About & Tributes to SMR
SC003 is currently unprocessed and is unavailable to researchers.
SC004.01 Holland Land Company Archives Microfilm
SC004.02 Holland Land Company Ledgers
SC004.03 Holland Land Company Manuscripts & Ephemera
The Inventory of the Archives of the Holland Land Company, 1789-1869 by Dr. Wilhelmina C. Pieterse (Municipal Archives Amsterdam, 1976) provides detailed information on the contents of each volume in the SC004.01 Holland Land Company Archives Microfilm collection. The Inventory was reproduced with kind permission of the Municipal Archives of Amsterdam and Nederlandse Document Reproductie B.V.
The Stefan Zweig Collection at Fredonia contains over 6,000 manuscript letters written to Zweig by over 300 correspondents (1900-1942). Notable correspondents include Martin Buber, Albert Schweitzer, Richard Strauss, Rainer Maria Rilke, Luigi Pirandello, Jules Romains, Joseph Roth, Frans Masereel and Virginia Woolf among others. In addition, the archive contains manuscript and typescript drafts for many of Zweig's works, including fiction, poetry, drama, essays, and historical and biographical studies. The collection constitutes one of the most significant holdings of Zweig manuscripts in the world.
Further materials include correspondence between the author and his first wife, Friderike Zweig; letters written to Friderike by other correspondents; a small collection of documents belonging to the author's brother, Alfred Zweig, including correspondence, memorabilia and photographs; and miscellaneous secondary sources and published material, including articles, theatre programs and reviews of Zweig's works. The Special Collections & Archives Division also holds a significant number of published works by and about Zweig, including biographies, translations and multilingual critical studies.
Researchers may also wish to consult the Stefan Zweig Bibliography wiki compiled and maintained by noted Zweig bibliographer Dr. Randolph J. Klawiter. The wiki continues Klawiter's print bibliography and is now a collaborative effort of the Literaturarchiv Salzburg and Reed Library's Special Collections & Archives Division. This critical resource, described by Casa Stefan Zweig as the "bible" for Zweig scholarship, comprises a decades-long effort by Dr. Klawiter, who is a Professor Emeritus of the Department of German and Russian at the University of Notre Dame. Fredonia is honored to provide the online home for Dr. Klawiter's ongoing work. Read more about the history of the bibliography here.
For research inquiries, please complete the Archives Research Request form.
Photo (upper left): Stefan Zweig, ca. 1930. Photo (lower right): Stefan Zweig, ca. 1938. Copyright for both unknown.
Stefan Zweig Collection, Special Collections & Archives, State University of New York at Fredonia.
The Sigurd Rascher Collection represents one of the finest collections of manuscript materials documenting the development of the saxophone's role within 20th-century classical music in the country. Donated by Rascher's daughter, Carina, to the Special Collections & Archives Division of Reed Library at Fredonia in 2004, the collection traces the life and work of the preeminent classical saxophonist Sigurd M. Rascher (1907-2001) and offers musicians, composers and scholars alike the opportunity to engage with Raschèr's brilliant and prolific career, including his connection with the Fredonia School of Music.
Extending over 75 linear feet, the collection includes signed and printed scores, correspondence, photographs, clippings, business records, audio materials, ephemera, and, not least, several of Rascher's own instruments.
In 2010-2011, a comprehensive audio preservation project resulted in the digitization of the collection's analog audio materials in the following formats: 78 RPM shellac, instantaneous transcription disc, 45 RPM disc, LP album, 1/4" reel to reel and cassette tape. These digitized materials are now available for patron use in-house only on the Rascher Listening Station in the Special Collections Reading Room.
Although the full collection is not completely processed, the majority of the Sigurd Rascher Collection, including scores and correspondence, is open to researchers by appointment only. Release of the comprehensive finding aid is expected in 2020.
For research inquiries, please complete the Archives Research Request form.
Photo: Sigurd Rascher with contrabass saxophone in case, holding keyless alto saxophone, June 1964. ©Marilyn Mason
Sigurd M. Rascher Collection, Special Collections & Archives, State University of New York at Fredonia.
Arriving after the Sigurd M. Rascher Collection and also donated by Carina Rascher, this collection covers the history, touring activity, and musical career of the Rascher Saxophone Quartet, a world-renowned saxophone quartet founded in 1969 by original members Sigurd Rascher, Carina Rascher, and Fredonia School of Music alumni Linda Bangs and Bruce Weinburger. The Rascher Saxophone Quartet is still together and touring, and recently performed at Fredonia in celebration of their 50th Anniversary.
This collection is undergoing processing and is currently unavailable to researchers.
The Holland Land Company records on microfilm comprise materials relating to the United States investment activities of the Holland Land Company, an early 19th-century Dutch conglomerate of six Dutch banking houses.
The microfilm records held by Reed Library span the years 1789-1869. The reels were created from original documents held by the Municipal Archives of Amsterdam in the Netherlands with the permission of the Municipal Archives and the assistance of Nederlandse Document Reproductie B.V.
Patrons may access the microfilm reels in the Microforms Room of Reed Library during normal operating hours and do not need to schedule an appointment to do so. Please note that select microfilm reels, including all of the maps and all of the Western New York land transactions (indexed in Karen Livsey's Western New York Land Transactions, 1804-1824 and 1825-1835) have been digitized and are freely accessible on the New York Heritage website.
The following microfilm reels contain supplementary Holland Land Company materials. The reels are located in the Microforms Room of Reed Library. Patrons may access them at any time during normal operating hours.
We do not have the staffing to conduct extensive searches of the Holland Land Company microfilm for patrons. Patrons who are unable to consult the microfilm in person are encouraged to investigate the option of Interlibrary Loan through their local library.
Image: Map of Morris's Purchase or West Geneseo in the State of New York, ca. 1814. HLC Map 0097, from Archives of the Holland Land Company microfilm collection, Reed Library, State University of New York at Fredonia. Courtesy of State University of New York at Fredonia Special Collections & Archives; Municipal Archives of Amsterdam; Nederlandse Document Reproductie B.V.
The collection comprises 78 rpm shellac disc recordings featuring famed tenor and early recording artist Enrico Caruso, many only recorded on one side. Caruso recorded the mostly operatic songs at the Victor/Victrola Talking Machine recording studios in New Jersey and New York City between 1904 and 1920.
Daniel A. Reed Library • The State University of New York at Fredonia • 280 Central Ave., Fredonia, NY 14063 • 716-673-3184 • Fax: 716-673-3185 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Accessibility Statement: Reed Library is dedicated to making information accessible for everyone. If you notice an accessibility issue within this guide, please contact Katelynn Telford
Except where otherwise noted, this guide is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.