Skip to main content
How Can I Print?
You will need to submit your updated .stl file, .obj file, or .print file through our 3D Printing Request Form. A .print file is preferred, as this allows you to format the print specifically as you want before submitting it to us. For more information see the software tab.
Designated library staff will look over the file to see if there are any obvious problems that need to be addressed. Please refer to our Helpful Hints Before You Print section to make sure your design is printer-friendly before you submit your file.
- Occasionally, print jobs will fail, so there may be delays in completion, but every effort will be made to meet the anticipated deadline.
You will receive an email when your job is completed, and you can pick it up from Reed Library at your convenience. You will need to present your FredCard to collect your print job.
Daniel A. Reed Library
Questions? Email us!
|Available 3D Printing Hours
|Monday - Friday
|10:00am - 5:00pm
Frequently Asked Questions
- What size can objects be printed?
- The MakerBot Replicator+ print bed is 11.6"x7.6"x6.5"
- Who can use the 3D printer?
- Anyone who is affiliated with The State University of New York at Fredonia. 3D printing is not available for the general public.
- What type of software should I use?
- Please see the Software tab. You can use any design software you like, but all files must be an updated as a .stl, .obj, or .print file.
- Which file formats are accepted?
- All files must be in a .print, .stl, or .obj file format. Users can upload their files into the MakerBot Print software to determine the correct size, orientation, etc. of their print and "save project as..." into a .print file to submit. This saves your file with all of the correct settings you would like and ensures your file will be printed correctly.
- How much does it cost?
- Currently, 3D printing is free.
- Whom should I contact for additional assistance?
- Revisit the Contact Info box for library hours and contact information.
Helpful Hints Before You Print
- Make sure your design fits on the print plate (11.6" x 7.6" x 6.5").
- To keep the amount of material down, you can scale down your object.
- For more questions check out the FAQ tab.
Library Policy on Use of 3D Printers
Individuals who use the Library's 3D Printers must comply with University and Reed Library Policies.
Specifically, the library's 3D printer may not be used to create materials that are:
- Prohibited by local, state or federal law.
- Prohibited by University Policies.
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous, or poses an immediate threat to the well-being of others.
- Obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the campus environment.
- In violation of intellectual property rights.
The Library reserves the right to refuse any 3D print request.
Daniel A. Reed Library • The State University of New York at Fredonia • 280 Central Ave., Fredonia, NY 14063 • 716-673-3184 • Fax: 716-673-3185 • firstname.lastname@example.org